Liqua-Tan can be used many different ways. The following is a simple, yet effective method that we have used with success:
- Turn ears and lips, then remove cartilage from nose. Remove large meat chunks and fat from hide. This is NOT when to shave hide. Salt hide thoroughly as soon as possible. Roll hide up and arrange it so it will drain. (lay over fleshing beam, saw horse, etc.) Let drain for 24 hours.
- Next, unroll hide and shake wet salt out of hide. Resalt hide and leave again for 24 hours. It is not necessary to roll hide this second time. Just imply lay across fleshing beam.
- Mix solution in plastic container as follows:
- 2 lbs. salt to one gallon of hot water
- 1 oz. Kemal-4 to 5 gallons water
- 1 capful concentrated lysol (brown bottle) or 2 tbsp. Basacryl, to 5 gallons water
- Let cool to room temperature (We’ve found that a 5 gallon solution works well for 2 hides)
- Rehydrate hide in solution until soft. (Usually 24 hours) NEVER put a hide in hot solution as this may cause hair slippage. ALWAYS let solution cool to room temperature.
- Remove hide from solution, towel to remove excess moisture, then shave.
- Wash hide THOROUGHLY with water and Kemal-4 (1 oz to 5 gal.). It is important that all salt residue be removed at this point. Any salt residue left in hide will cause your mount to “sweat” in humid conditions. Rinse hidde in fresh water to ensure this.
- Tumble or towel hide to remove excess moisture.
- Heat up Liqua-Tan by placing bottle in plastic container filled with hot water.
- Spread hide on cardboard, then paint Liqua-Tan on with a paint brush. If you intend to leave cartilage in ears, paint both inside and outside of ears to ensure thorough tanning.
- Roll hide and leave at room temperature, 4 hours minimum.
- Hide may then be either mounted immediately or frozen.
This whole operation should be done at room temperature for best results. There is virtually no shrinkage with Liqua-Tan therefore reducing the need for pins, etc. Liqua-Tan allows good stretchability and no hair slippage if done using the method we have described.